Hetal Vasavada is a baker, cookbook author and blogger at Milk and Cardamom. This former MasterChef contestant’s recipes have been featured in Food & Wine Magazine, Bon Appetit, The New York Times and more!
1 cup + 2 tbsp (141 g) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp (113 g) granulated sugar
2 tsp lemon zest
7 tbsp (86 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp milk LEMON CARDAMOM SUGAR
2 tbsp granulated sugar 1 tsp freshly ground cardamom
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, add sugar and lemon zest. Use your fingers to rub the lemon zest and sugar together until the sugar is pale yellow and fragrant. Add butter and mix until well combined. Add vanilla and milk and mix again until well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth dough. Refrigerate the cookie dough for 10 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together cardamom and sugar for coating.
5. Roll 1 1/2 tablespoon size scoops of dough (30g each) into 12 balls. Roll each cookie dough ball into the cardamom sugar mixture until well coated and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes and then cool completely on a rack.